Tuesday 9 April 2013

Ring Theory, oh how I love this article

The LA Times put out a great little piece on how to talk to someone struggling with crisis.

You can read this bit of awesomeness from Susan Silk and Barry Goldman here.

I cannot begin to tell you how much this article speaks to me. When I seek support about losing my vision when I get migraines, please don't take the commiseration angle and tell me about your own headaches in an attempt to normalize my MS. This isn't about you and that approach belittles my state of being. I assure you, when you're looking for support, I'll try my best to make you feel supported and heard. I may not be able to help, but I will try my best to employ this theory when others look to me for empathy. Crisis is not a competition. We all own our little bits of darkness. I'm not looking for you to make things better. Just listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful.